Technical Help
 Hosting Services
 Free Web-Hosting Service through DreamHost
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pjhelm2

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  7:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit pjhelm2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I work in a technical research position within the University of Kentucky. Recently, I began developing a website for my church and found a wonderful hosting provider to be DreamHost. If you are 501(c)(3)registered (or can prove non-profit, charitable status) you are eligible for a $80.00/month hosting plan free of charge...indefinitely. I have been with them for about a month now and have had no problems whatsoever. Some specs include 365 GB storage space and 3.65 TB bandwidth initially, which both increase weekly.

If you would like any more information on this, I'd be happy to help you! Visit http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html for more information, or http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Non-profit_Discount The package you will get is the "Strictly Business" plan.

God Bless!
Patrick Helm
patrick.helm@fccliberty.org
http://www.fccliberty.org

Edited by - pjhelm2 on 07/13/2007 11:50:33 AM

Buddy Ray

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buddy Ray's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Patrick,

That is a seriously COOL lead. I've known hosting companies to give away whimpy hosting accounts before - but this one provides some serious features.

The link to the Non-Profit Discount page doesn't work however - I think because there is a period imbeded at the end. I did a cut and paste into my browsers address line, removed the period and it worked.

I can't use them however because I have to be on a Windows server and they apparently only offer Linux. Darn.

Buddy Ray
Webmaster
www.gadisciples.org

Edited by - Buddy Ray on 07/12/2007 12:12:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice tip, Patrick!

I'll include this service in my list. I'm leading a resource group at the General Assembly and will be sure to pass it on.

-chris

Chris H.
Manager of Internet and New Media
Communication Ministries
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Go to Top of Page

NathanHill

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit NathanHill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used Dreamhost in the past, and they do offer some pretty nice plans with lots of space.

However, they do oversell, which is why I moved away from them. Overselling means that they promise 100 Gb of webspace to every customer, even though their servers may have a limit. They offer that much knowing it will entice customers but also knowing that no customer will ever use that much space.

Plus, they tend to not have the most reliable web servers among hosting companies because of that overcrowding that can occur.

For most church websites, I don't think any of those things may matter... but then again, websites should be considered as important as a welcome area in a church.
Go to Top of Page

michael

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  12:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit michael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have talked to a head person on our church board about it and I should recieve an email back soon.

"There is good and evil in everybody, it is what you choose to act upon that really matters."
Go to Top of Page

michael

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit michael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After sending in the Right papers (3rd try) we got the hosting service! I moved most everything over and the new site is up and running. Yeah!

www.fccjenksok.com

"There is good and evil in everybody, it is what you choose to act upon that really matters."
Go to Top of Page

loisb

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  8:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit loisb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like what you have done Michael. Somehow this layout seems much nicer to me. And you have added forums. Nice touch.

Lois
Go to Top of Page

michael

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit michael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loisb

I like what you have done Michael. Somehow this layout seems much nicer to me. And you have added forums. Nice touch.

Lois

Thanks.
I added a forum, and Photo Gallery on the host server! It is great!

Go to Top of Page

michael

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  11:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit michael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have way more space than we'll ever need!! For some reason it won't let me upload audio files.

Go to Top of Page

loisb

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit loisb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check their FAQ Micheal and if nothing is there send them an email. Some sites only allow certain file types to be uploaded. I have a personal page on a site that doesn't allow midi or av files for instance.

Lois
Go to Top of Page

Buddy Ray

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  11:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buddy Ray's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If they won't let you upload audio - check out blip.tv - they will let you upload audio or video for free - then just link to those files from your web site.

They are just one of many podcasting sites that will let you upload audio and link to it.

Buddy Ray
Webmaster
www.gadisciples.org

Edited by - Buddy Ray on 01/31/2008 11:44:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

michael

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  9:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit michael's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buddy Ray

If they won't let you upload audio - check out blip.tv - they will let you upload audio or video for free - then just link to those files from your web site.

They are just one of many podcasting sites that will let you upload audio and link to it.

Buddy Ray
Webmaster
www.gadisciples.org

Thats what I am using currently.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Disciples Webmasters © 2007-2008 Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000